Fittleton or Home Farm was based in the village at what is now known as Fittleton Manor. The western side of Fittleton Manor house dates from the early C17th and the eastern side, which we see as the front, from later in the C17th. The timber framed stables, originally a barn, against the road may be earlier than the present house. See the photo of the barn and nearby cob walls. One clearly illustrates the phases of building the wall by the different shades of “mix”.
The house has large walled gardens and backs onto All Saints church. The rest of the farm buildings and some cottages were across the road nearer the river and the warren. A warren is a breeding area for rabbits owned by the church or the lord of the manor in medieval times. There was a warren also at Beach’s Barn.
Most of the downs above Fittleton village were taken for military training after 1898. The remainder of the land was taken in to the tenancy of Choulston and other farms in neighbouring Figheldean and Everleigh parishes, and also was used for Netheravon airfield. As in the rest of the Plain, cultivation continued near the edge of the village (called Schedule 1 land) and compensation was paid for damage by tanks and the like. The down land (Schedule 3) attracted a cheaper rent but could be used for grazing much of the time.